Port Klang: Just over a month after the signing of the contract in April 2010, Port Shipyard & Engineering Sdn Bhd hosted a keel laying ceremony at its shipyard in Port Klang on 24 May 2010 to signify the erection of 2 units of 50 ton bollard pull harbour tugboats for Malaysian Towage & Transport Sdn Bhd (MTT) worth over RM30 million.
The ceremony was attended by high ranking officials from MTT, Marine Department Malaysia, Bank Pembangunan, Daikai Engineering Pte Ltd, Germanischer Lloyd , PSE and its contractors and other guests to mark this historic occasion. Those present included:
- Yang Berbahagia Dato Kapten Ahmad Osman – Ketua Pengarah, Jabatan Laut Malaysia
- Tn Haji Abdul Aziz bin Meor Ngah – Chairman, Malaysian Towage & Transport Sdn Bhd
- En Zaidin Yusof – Managing Director, Malaysian Towage & Transport Sdn Bhd
- Mr Kaneda Mikio – Managing Director, Daikai Engineering Pte Ltd
- Mr Raymond Meyer – Country Manager, Germanischer Lloyd (GL)
- Bank Pembangunan Representatives
- En Zakaria Saad – Vice President, Biz Devp
- En Abdul Karim Ismail – Ass Vice Pres, Business Devp – Maritime
- En Azman Ahmad – Acting Ass. VP, Technical – Credit Mgmt
- Pn Suhaila Taib – Head Project Monitoring
- Pn Azmahnor bt Siarap – Head – Credit Recovery
Representing PSE, Executive Chairman Abdul Hamid Nor, reflected on the significance of the project and successful partnerships between suppliers and contractors involved towards PSE’s new beginning.
“Today marks an important milestone as Port Shipyard & Engineering Sdn Bhd embarks not only on the construction of 2 new vessels, but also on an extensive transition programme aimed at moulding PSE into a world class shipyard. As we speak, the finest elements of shipbuilding are starting to be put in place and I am immensely pleased that we are all part of this new endeavour.”
The ceremony was finalized with the official handing over of 4 units of 3,500 horsepower Daihatsu engines for the tugboats by Mr Kaneda Mikio, Managing Director, Daikai Engineering Pte Ltd.